Minutes of the Phi Theta Kappa
March 20, 2009
Members Present: See sign in sheet.
Advisor: Lisa Chaddock
I. Call to Order
President Charles Taylor called the meeting of Phi Theta Kappa to order at 3:15pm. A correction regarding the Better World Books Book drive must be made to February’s meeting minutes before they may be approved.
Our chapter’s bylaws do not match with National’s bylaws. According to National’s standards students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and part time students are able to obtain membership. Our chapter requires students to maintain a 3.5 GPA and students must carry at least 12 units per semester to obtain membership. Due to this discrepancy, our chapter’s bylaws need to be reviewed and possibly changed to meet with the standards set by National.
III. Leadership Lesson
Vice President of Leadership Patty French was unable to attend this month’s meeting. The leadership lesson was read by President Charles Taylor.
IV. Induction Ceremony
· President Charles Taylor provided a video of a prior ceremony for members to watch to help better understand what will take place the day of the ceremony.
· Advisor Lisa Chaddock submitted the required paper work for the Induction Ceremony that is to take place May 21, 2009.
· Catering: President Chuck Taylor reported that the caterer on campus will be used during the ceremony. A deposit is not necessary.
· Music: Treasurer Leticia Gonzales has found a pianist for the ceremony. She requested that we let her know of any music we would like to be played during the ceremony.
· Flowers: Webmaster Taylor Orona is able to have all of the roses needed for the ceremony donated by her husband’s business.
· Cakes: Vice President of Fellowship Cecilia Kenner has made arrangements for the sheet cakes.
· Invitations: Vice President Suzzette Sinclair has sent invitations to several prominent people in the community who we hope will attend our ceremony. Invitations will also be sent out to local news station reporters and radio stations such as 94.9 and Tony and Chris.
· Videographer: The school’s videographer is unable to film the event. We will need to arrange for another videographer for the ceremony.
· Ceremony program: Recording Secretary Jamie Bruce will prepare the ceremony program and have it for review at next month’s meeting.
V. Volunteer Events
· Joan Embery Event: The event will take place on Joan Embry’s ranch. Volunteers will need to help with raking, planting plants and flowers, putting up lights, etc. There are two events coming up and Vice President of Service Suzzette Sinclair will be sending out e-mails with further details regarding the events.
· Speakupow.org has a festival coming up where volunteers will be needed to help hand out food and help with games.
· Soldiers’ Angels will be hosting a fishing event in April. Volunteers will be able to fish with soldiers from the docks and in boats. Suzzette Sinclair will send e-mails with more information.
· Convention Center: Our chapter has an opportunity to get involved with the convention center. The center allows groups to come in after large conventions such as the sporting goods convention and take the items left behind. All items must be able to be taken by the group. Our chapter must decide if this sounds like something we would be interested in getting involved in.
VI. Cuyamaca’s Annual Dinner Dance
On May 16 Cuyamaca will be hosting its annual dinner dance. Greeters are needed between 5:15 and 7:15pm. Three Phi Theta Kappa Members have volunteered to be at the dance during that time. Being involved this year will allow for our chapter to sell the tickets for the dance next year and receive 10% of the proceeds.
VII. Earth Day
Earth Day at Cuyamaca is coming soon. Suzzette Sinclair will be inviting SDGE. She also reported that Home Depot will take and recycle old light bulbs for free.
Congratulations to the winners of this month’s prizes. This month winners received Legoland tickets, calendars, and High School Musical Theater Tickets.
IX. Next Meeting
The Next Phi Theta Kappa meeting will be held on April 20, 2009. The officers’ meeting will begin at 3:00pm and the general meeting will begin at 4:00pm.
President Charles Taylor adjourned the meeting at 5:00pm.