skip to content

Graduate at Cuyamaca

Earn an Associate's Degree or Certificate from Cuyamaca College


Cuyamaca Students can transfer to UCSD and SDSU

Our Campus

Our beautiful campus provides easy access to San Diego proper

Application Procedures

Note: If you are having difficulty accessing this form, please right click on the link and click on "Save Target As..." to save to your computer

Necessary Documents

Your International Student Application, copy of passport picture page, high school transcripts translated into English, official TOEFL score, original financial statement and sponsor certificate should be sent directly to the International Student Admissions Office at Cuyamaca College. The Admissions Office will send to you immigration documents such as your I-20, and admission notice of acceptance.

Additional Documents for Transfer Students

College transcripts, copies of visa, I-94 and current I-20 and Transfer Clearance Form. A new I-20 can only be issued once your SEVIS record is transferred to Cuyamaca College  upon your acceptance.


All academic transcripts of your secondary and postsecondary education must be mailed directly to Cuyamaca College Admissions and Records Office from the institution(s) you have attended. These documents must be signed in ink by the appropriate school official, such as the registrar, and bear the school's official seal. Transcripts must be translated into ENGLISH.

English Proficiency (TOEFL)

A score of 450 or higher, paper-based (or 45 internet score) is required on the international TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TOEFL). The TOEFL must be taken within two years prior to application. The score report must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the Admissions and Records Office of Cuyamaca College (Code 4252). The TOEFL test must be taken before the application deadline. The results will be accepted after the deadline.  Students whose primary language is Japanese ONLY may submit EIKEN test results with a minimum score grade of "2A".  Please contact for more information. NO OTHER ENGLISH TEST IS ACCEPTED. Many students who are not yet prepared to take the TOEFL exam choose first to come to the United States to study English at a language school.  Once you have completed the TOEFL exam with a minimum score of 450 or 45 internet score, you can apply to Cuyamaca College for the next possible semester as a transfer student to begin your college-level programs. Prospective students who have attended secondary or postsecondary educational institutions in the U.S. for at least three years may not need to submit TOEFL scores prior to enrollment at Cuyamaca College.  Contact the International Admissions staff. For information about the TOEFL test, please refer to their web site at

Please note that a typical international students will take English as a Second Language courses while attending Cuyamaca College. 

Financial Statement

International students must submit an original bank statement or bank letter which verifies access to at least U.S. $21,000 (subject to change) indicating your ability to pay for one year's education and living expenses.  By law, F-1 visa international students are not allowed to work in the United States without U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services authorization and are not eligible for financial aid.

Health Insurance

It is strongly recommended that international students obtain a health and accident insurance policy.  The Student Health Services Office has information on where to acquire such a policy.

Full-Time Status

International students must complete a minimum of 12 units each semester in order to keep the F-1 student visa in effect.  It is anticipated that students will complete their studies within five semesters.

Enrollment Fees: (U.S. Dollars)

Item Cost
Enrollment Fee (mandatory) $ 236.00/unit (12 units minimum required)
Health Fee (mandatory) $ 18.00
Student Center Construction Fee (mandatory) $ 1.00/unit (max $5.00)
Student Representation Fee (mandatory) $ 1.00
Parking Permit (One Semester) $ 40.00
Student Benefit CoyoteCard $ 12.00
* Student Center Construction Fee and Student Benefit Card are not available for the summer session.

Low-income California residents may have their fees waived. It is recommended that full-time students budget approximately $750 per semester or $375 for summer for books and supplies.

Students attending both Cuyamaca and Grossmont Colleges pay parking fees on ONE CAMPUS only. Enrollment fees for these students are calculated on a district basis.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to take full-time study?
Yes, per Immigration laws and regulations, you need to be a full-time student and "In Status" at all times.  Full-time status minimum unit load is 12 units per semester (spring and fall). How do I take the TOEFL test?
The TOEFL test is given all over the world.  There are several ways to contact the TOEFL test center, they are listed below:

Web site:
Telephone: 1-609-771-7100
FAX: 1-609-771-7500

3. Is it possible to transfer from a Language School to Cuyamaca College?
Yes, many students go to Language Schools first then transfer to Cuyamaca College after completing the required TOEFL test score of 450 or higher paper-based (or 45 internet score).

4.  Is housing available on campus?
Cuyamaca College does not have housing on campus but does work with a homestay service.  There are also apartments within walking distance of the college.   Please contact for further information.

5.  Is there public transportation to Cuyamaca College?
Yes, we have a good transit system in the San Diego area, and a bus stop right on campus.

6.  Do you have Athletic sports on campus?
Yes, we have many athletic teams for both men and women at Cuyamaca College.   Golf, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Volleyball.

7. I understand there is an ENGLISH/MATH placement test, do International Students have to take this test too?
Yes, this is required of all students, including International Students.

8. What is the minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) minimum to maintain USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) status?
The minimum grade point average required is 2.00; C or better at all times.   (A+ = 4.0, A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, D = 1.0 and F = 0.0)

International Student Application for Admission

Click this link to access the printable International Student Application Forms Packet. Once completed and signed, original forms should be mailed to:

                  Vanessa Saenz
International Student Admissions
                  Cuyamaca College
                  900 Rancho San Diego Parkway
                  El Cajon, CA 92019-4304 

You should be contacted by e-mail within 3 – 4 weeks. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (619) 660-4565 or e-mail me at

Foreign Transcripts

Brown_BannerErelda Gene homepage bannerGreenberg banner
Page footer information
Cuyamaca College Social Media Cuyamaca College Social Media


Revised  September 25, 2014