Cuyamaca College skip to content
  Assessment - Exemption
Office: Assessment Center
One-Stop Center
Building A213
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Friday 9:00am - 1:00pm
Phone: (619) 660-4426
Assessment Specialist: Marcella Brown

Exemption Policy

You are exempt from the assessment process if you have:

  • Earned an Associate Degree or higher at an accredited college or university.  Must provide copy of diploma or unofficial transcript.

  • Completed English and/or Mathematics courses at an accredited college or university. Must provide unofficial transcript.

  • Completed Advance Placement (AP) in English and/or Mathematics.  Must provide a copy of the AP Examination results with scores of 3, 4 or 5.

  • Students that have graduated from a high school in the Grossmont Union High School District (GUHSD) should be given the Math Articulated Credit Form to have signed by their high school counselor if they wish to be exempt from the Mathematics assessment and receive credit for Math 110.  Students must provide proof of having completed Algebra 1 and Geometry with a grade of “C” or better, and a grade of “B” or better in Algebra II in the last two years.  They can be cleared to take a Mathematics course at the level of 120-178.  Enrollment in higher level courses requires going through the Math assessment process.

  • With regards to the bullet above, students from the GUHSD that received a “C” in Algebra II may be exempt from the assessment process by bringing an unofficial transcript. They can be placed in Math 110 while still in high school.

  • Completed the assessment process at another California Community College and the appropriate documentation of placement is provided.

  • If a student is enrolling in a course for educational/personal enrichment course that does not require English or Math as a prerequisite, co-requisite or advisory (recommended preparation).

  • Students that have taken and passed the EAP (Early Assessment Placement) test at their high school may use those scores for English placement only.

  • Scores from assessments such as ELM, SAT, ACT and EPT are not used to exempt students or clear prerequisites.

Please Note:  Students have the right to “challenge” a prerequisite".  Students wishing to challenge should be given the form entitled “Prerequisite Evaluation/Challenge Request.”  After completing the form, it should be submitted to a counselor, who will in turn send it to the department chair.

To obtain an exemption, bring to the Counseling Center one of the following:

  • A college or university transcript or diploma
  • A college or university grade report
  • A copy of your Advanced Placement Examination results with scores of 3, 4, 5
  • Assessment scores from any San Diego/Imperial County local community college

No one is exempt from the orientation component. If you qualify for an exemption from the assessment component, you should attend one of the Orientation and advisement sessions.

English/Math Placement Challenge

If you already took the English and/or math assessment at Cuyamaca College, but wish to challenge your placement level, contact the Assessment Office at 619-660-4426 to schedule a challenge exam. Only exams given by the Cuyamaca College Assessment Office are acceptable for this purpose.

Chemistry Challenge

Please review the Cuyamaca College catalog regarding Chemistry prerequisites. If you wish to enroll in Chemistry 141 without taking Chemistry 120, you must take the Chemistry challenge exam. Contact the Assessment Office at 619-660-4426 to schedule an appointment.
Page footer information
Revised  March 31, 2014
To Top