CIS 211 - Fall 2014
This course is a hands-on overview of current web development. Emphasis will be placed on coding and debugging valid HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), but the course will also include design principles and introductory graphics to encourage attractive, usable design. Mobile development will be introduced. Student will use industry standard development environments to create websites.
Fall Semester begins August 18. Check back after the semester begins for updated syllabus & schedule.
Learn Online or Face-to-Face
CIS 211 is offered online (2 sections) and as a hybrid (partially online) course this semester.
Students need to have access to a reliable computer with a high bandwidth Internet connection. Campus labs offer these resources for students who do not have them at home.
Jodi uses Moodle for class management (quizzes, grades, turning in work, discussion). Moodle accounts are set up the weekend before classes begin. All course Web pages link to the Moodle login. Let Jodi know if you are unable to log in to Moodle after the first day of class with
password: 6-digit birthday (e.g. 012377)
Fall classes begin August 18th. The course materials will be ready once the semester begins. I'll send a welcome email with instructions once the semester begins, so let me know if you don't get instructions by the first day of class. The welcome email is sent from Moodle to the email address you provided to WebAdvisor.
Here's what you can do in AUGUST before class begins:
- Add the course if you have not done so. Please do this ASAP -- this will add you to the roster. You cannot add the class after the program adjustment period. Use WebAdvisor to add this class.
- Please confirm your WebAdvisor email address. (Do you need to see how to change your WebAdvisor address?)
- Purchase textbook and skim.
- Review the syllabus.
- Look for a welcome email once the semester begins. LET ME KNOW if you don't get a welcome email.
- ONLINE STUDENTS:
- Install Firefox
- Schedule 5-9 hours a week to complete class work.
It will probably take a few weeks to get used to how things are done. Plan to spend a little extra time at first and don't hesitate to email or stop in during office hours if you feel lost.
(note that there are also cheaper versions at Amazon and on the Publisher's site)