The essay is no longer just a significant part of the application package. It is a separate scholarship competition. A well-written essay must not be EXTEMPORANEOUSLY written.
A ❝QUALITY❞ essay is the answer!
Be part of the 10 - 15% who are ❝IN❞ every scholarship competition...NOT just completing a scholarship application.
FIRST - Read the ❝Do's and Do not's,❞ to eliminate unforeseen mistakes.
SECOND - The ❝Question(s)❞ guide you in your answer, find its ❝BASIC POINTS.❞ Also add those details required motivate and inspire the sponsor to select your essay.
THIRD - Use the following ❝Basic Writing Rules❞ to start your personal statement/essay
FOURTH - Use the ❝Essay Writing Tools❞ to help FOCUS your efforts and lean to get HELP!
Scholarship writing, DO's and DON'TS: Read both before you write your essay or personal statement. Not doing so can mean the difference between clarity and endless words or understanding and not understanding essay/statements questions, Read and be more Successful.
- First - Scholarships are normally for college expenses ONLY.
- Second - If you are not asked about those things, you are complaining and sponsors ONLY want to have their questions answered.
it is in a writers Best Interest to use the Basic Writing Rules that can make your essay better then those you will be competing against. Please take your time and read the basic rules provided.
1. ALWAYS — follow the sponsor's directions/guidelines:
2. BEFORE WRITING STARTS — Focus on the sponsor's essay/personal statement instructions/requirements! If you are unsure, contact the ❝Scholarship Specialist❞ for an appointment to review the application materials.
3. SHORT ESSAY WRITING — This essay approach is focused ❝ONLY❞ on those essays common to online applications similar to AcademicWorks, San Diego Foundation, and other campus based applications. These types of essays are short, which means YOU MUST do MORE with LESS and do it WELL. There are two aids a SHORT ESSAY-EZ GUIDE and SHORT ESSAY-DETAILED GUIDE, each guide shows a different level of detail as to how scholarship essays are develop.
4. FORMAT & WRITING — The essay and personal statement, use basic steps and guidelines to start your paper. Begin with the correct formatting, either set by the sponsor or basic writing fundamentals. Also begin writing, use basic grammar of your paper.
A. Format and Guidelines — Use as the sponsor(s) state (if given) when writing the Essay/Personal Statement. If none are provided, at a minimum use the following guidelines:
B. Writing & Grammar Basics — Follow correct writing guidelines, ensure the essay is broken down into paragraphs; use transition sentences between each thought or paragraph. Review your paper with a spelling and grammar checker, ensure punctuation, vocabulary, and style are corrected with each draft; check essay flow by reading ❝your paper❞ out loud. Ask yourself: ❝Is there depth to my Answer or Answers?❞
The online writing resources below are available to help you with all of your essay writing needs. Applicants may use them to develop, organize, and prepare their essay. These writing tools are recommended for use when writing your personal statements or essays.
Sponsors provide one of several options to the written essay, and the Video Essay Presentations are common today. This does not mean they are easier in fact effective presentations are fun and challenging. Use the following VIDEO Presentation Guide to assist you in preparing for the challenge.
For further assistance and guidance in applying for scholarships, please contact the Scholarship Office. We are located in the Financial Aid Office (Building 300) at the Student Services Center. To make an appointment please email or call (619) 660-4537 provide your Student ID number, please provide your best date and time that you are available. Walk-in appointments are welcome.
Financial Aid Office
1 (619) 660-4537
*Cuyamaca College Financial Aid Office does not guarantee the accuracy of translated text through Google Translate. If the information you are translating is not clear, please return to the home page of Cuyamaca College Financial Aid & Scholarships, click "Contact Us," and call for assistance, or email your question to the appropriate Advisor. Cuyamaca College Financial Aid Office disclaims and will not accept any liability for any problems caused by the use of the Google Translate feature.