Kumeyaay Land Acknowledgement
We stand upon a land that has been the home of the Kumeyaay people from time immemorial.
This land has nourished, healed, and protected the Kumeyaay people to the present
day. It is part of a world view founded in the harmony, balance, and the relationship-building
between the land and the people.
As students and employees of Cuyamaca College we acknowledge this legacy from the
Kumeyaay. We will take action to support and preserve the Kumeyaay way of life, the
Kumeyaay people, and Kumeyaay knowledge. This is the land of the Kumeyaay.
My heart is good
Cuyamaca College takes action to support and preserve the Kumeyaay way of life, the
Kumeyaay people, and Kumeyaay knowledge in the following ways:
- Partnership between Cuyamaca College and Kumeyaay Community College
- Unique in higher education and in the U.S.
- Offered classes for credit starting in 2006
- Support Kumeyaay language recovery
- According to the UNESCO degrees of endangerment criteria, the Kumeyaay language is
- Offer Kumeyaay Studies Associate's Degree and Certificate
- Kumeyaay language, science, humanities, history, anthropology, political science,
and social work courses
- Kumeyaay Village and Garden and cultural installations
- Kumeyaay Studies Student Support Team