Enrollment Priority

Based on revisions to Title 5, the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District has revised its enrollment priorities procedures, to promote student access, success, and equity. 

Enrollment Priority Groups

Fall/Spring Semesters

Students will be placed in "groups" based on the criteria below.  All new students are required to complete orientation, assessment and develop a student education plan in order to be eligible for priority enrollment.


  • Group 1:   EOPS, ARC/DSPS, FY, Veterans, CalWorks, Homeless.
  • Group 2:   Athletes – Fully Matriculated.
  • Group 3:   Pathway Academy (formerly FYE), UMOJA, Puente.
  • Group 4:   Continuing students with 45-90 completed degree applicable units.  
  • Group 5:   Approved petitions for better priority for students who lost priority.  
  • Group 6:   Middle College. 
  • Group 7:   First time matriculated students. 
  • Group 8:   Continuing students with 12-45 completed degree applicable units. 
  • Group 9:   Continuing students with 0-12 completed degree applicable units. 
  • Group 10: New applicants, matriculated.

Loss of Enrollment Priority

All students, including Veterans, CalWORKs, DSPS, and EOPS, can lose their enrollment priority status. As per state regulations, only Foster Youth are exempt from losing their enrollment  priority status. 


Priority registration is lost when you have been on academic and/or progress probation for two consecutive primary (fall/spring) semesters, or when you accrue more than 90 completed units of degree applicable coursework accumulated from Cuyamaca and Grossmont Colleges only.

Exceed 90 Unit Limit

Students who accumulate more than 90 units of degree applicable units will lose priority registration. You can check your total number of units by looking at your unofficial transcript in the Self-Service.

Does this 90 unit limit and academic probation rule apply to all continuing students, including veterans, CalWORKs, DSPS, and EOPS?

 Yes. Academic/progress probation and unit limits will be applied to all student groups, including veterans, DSPS, EOPS, as well as international and non-resident students.

Do all credits get counted in the 90 unit limit?

 No. Only degree applicable units earned at Cuyamaca or Grossmont count toward the 90 unit limitation. Degree applicable courses are labeled in the course catalog.

Will units completed at another college or university count?

 No. Units from courses taken at another college are NOT counted within the 90 unit limit. Only degree applicable units earned at GCCCD are counted towards the 90 unit limit.

Are withdrawals counted in the 90 unit limit?

 No. The 90 unit limit applies only to the units you have earned. Withdrawals (W's) and Incompletes (I's) will not count towards the 90 units.

Do units in progress count toward the 90 units?

No. Units currently in progress, the classes you are currently taking, are not counted because they have not been "earned" or completed at the time that you will be eligible to register for the next semester.

Academic or Progress Probation

A Student who has two consecutive enrolled semesters of any type (progress or academic) probation (Summer is not included) will lose their enrollment priority status.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation when s/he has attempted at least 12 semester units and s/he earns a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0. Priority registration is lost when a student earns a cumulative GPA below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters.

What is progress probation?

A student is placed on progress probation when s/he has attempted at least 12 semester units and s/he earns 50% or more units of "W" (Withdrawal), "I" (Incomplete), or "NP" (No Pass), then you will be placed on lack of progress probation. Priority registration is lost when a student completes less than 50% of their overall coursework for two consecutive semesters.

Failed to Complete Orientation, Assessment, or Create an Education Plan

If you're a new student and you don't complete the orientation, assessment, or student education plan, you will lose your enrollment priority status. To avoid this, log in to Self-Service and complete these requirements as soon as possible.


Petition of Loss of Enrollment Priority Status

Students may petition the loss of their enrollment priority based on one of the following criteria:


  • Students who have experienced extenuating circumstances (verified cases of accident, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the student's control that affected their academic performance in the previous semester).
  • Students who have made significant academic improvement where they meet the minimum grade point average and/or progress standard to be removed from academic or progress probation. 
  • Students who have exceeded 90 units of degree-applicable coursework at GCCCD and enrolled in a high unit major.
  • Students with disabilities who applied for, but did not receive reasonable accommodations in a timely manner.
  • Students who have other specific situations that warrant considerations (e.g. Last term in GCCCD and needs a specific course to graduate or transfer).


Learn How to Submit a Petition