Student Equity Guidelines
Eligible Expenditures and Activities
- Outreach to potential student groups and communities identified in the equity plan,
including targeted publications and outreach materials.
- Student services and student services categorical programs that directly support improved
outcomes on success indicators for target populations prioritized in the Student Equity
- Research and evaluation related to improving student equity.
- Hiring a student equity program coordinator and staff directly supporting and implementing
student equity activities.
- Supporting student equity planning processes.
- Professional development, including funding of consultants to educate faculty and
staff on the effects of inequities; methods for detecting and researching inequities
and their effects on college programs and local communities; improving the use of
data, and effective practices and methods for addressing and improving outcomes for
- Adapting academic or career related programs and courses to improve student equity
- Providing embedded tutoring, counseling support for learning communities, and other
instructional support services that do not generate FTES.
- In-State travel in support of student equity.
- Other Direct Student Support including books, miscellaneous supplies and materials
for students, student transportation, and child care.
California Community Colleges Student Equity Funding Guidelines Page 3
Ineligible Expenditures and Activities
- Construction -- Student equity funds may not be used for construction work, remodeling,
- Gifts -- Public funds, including student equity funds, may not be used for gifts or
monetary awards of any kind.
- Stipends for Students -- Funds cannot be used to pay stipends to students for participation
in student equity activities.
- Computers, Office Supplies and Furniture – Purchasing computers, office supplies or
furniture (desks, chairs, bookcases, etc.) is not allowed.
- Other Administrative, Faculty or Staff Salaries and Benefits -- Program funds cannot
be used to pay for any staff or administrative overhead costs that do not directly
support student equity described in the college’s approved plan, such as budget office
staff, business office staff, etc.
- Political or Professional Dues, Memberships, or Contributions -- Funds cannot be used
for these fees or expenses.
- Rental of Off‐Campus Space -- Use of funds to pay for off‐campus space is not allowed.
- Legal and Audit Expenses -- Program funds may not be used to pay for legal or audit
- Indirect Costs -- Program funds may not be used to pay for indirect costs, such as
heat, electricity, or janitorial services.
- Unrelated Travel Costs -- Program funds may not be used for the cost of travel not
directly related to student equity activities or functions.
- Vehicles -- Program funds may not be used to purchase or lease vehicles.
- Clothing -- Program funds may not be used to purchase clothing such as jackets, sweatshirts,
or tee shirts (with the exception of required uniforms for students).
- Courses -- Program funds may not be used to deliver courses that generate FTES.
- Unrelated Research -- Institutional research that is not directly related to evaluating
or improving student equity outcomes.
- Supplanting -- Student Equity funding may not be used to supplant general or state
categorical (restricted) district funds currently expended on Student Equity activities.
Any direct student support provided should supplement, not supplant any services provided
to students currently participating in college categorical programs and any other
federal, state, and county programs.
Student Success & Support Program Plan