High School Transition


Guide to Transitioning From High School to College

This publication is designed to help students with disabilities transition from high school to college. It will guide students, parents, teachers and administrators as they begin planning for college. Checklists may be duplicated for student use or for program planning. We hope that students will be “Catching the Wave” from high school to college.


Adobe pdf reader download

Catching the Wave PDF Version

Catching the Wave Word (.Docx) Version

Catching the Wave Spanish Version in PDF Format


You may need to download the latest version of Adobe Reader for some the documents. Please click on the provided link: Download Adobe Reader


Steps to Transitioning from High School

  1. Apply to Cuyamaca College your last semester of High School
    1. If eligible : Apply for FAFSA 
  2. Provide DSPS with Verification of Disability-ie: IEP, 504, and other
  3. Make an Appointment for a DSPS Intake
  4. Complete Online Orientation via Self Service
  5. If eligible apply to Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) for additional educational assistance and OR San Diego Regional Center.


Too better support and assist in the transition, we highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with FERPA Regulations (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).


For questions or requests to speak with a DSPS staff member, you may email our:

For answers to questions related to other Student Service programs, please visit the: Cuyamaca College Student Support Services Page


Related Resources

Online Support and Resources

Faculty Resources

PDSS-Counseling Courses

Apply and Enroll