VA Work-Study Allowance Program

The VA Work-Study Allowance Program offers an additional non-taxable allowance to students performing 100% VA-related activities. The Cuyamaca Veterans Center offers assistant positions each semester. If interested in VA Work-Study at Cuyamaca College email Debbie Ayers or call 619-660-4276. 

Veterans Center Assistant 

The VA Work Study will be a highly utilized asset to the Cuyamaca Veterans Center. The VA Work study will assist the School Certifying Official by:

  • Provide general information regarding VA educational benefits and other campus services.
  • Assisting students with general inquiry’s about VA educational benefits via phone, email, and in person.
  • Maintain and organize veteran related files.
  • Assist with maintaining student records confidentiality compliance in accordance to federal, state, and Cuyamaca College regulations.
  • Scheduling counseling appointments.
  • Assist in maintaining positive relationship with key offices in order to facilitated services to students receiving VA educational benefits.
  • Assist in maintaining accurate and current information in related information systems.
  • Assist with distribution of accurate and current Veterans Affairs publications.
  • Assist with veterans events on campus.
  • For more information on this position and desired qualifications click here

Expand All | Collapse All

Who is Eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to students training under the following programs: 


  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® (chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® (chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®- Selected reserve (1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (chapter 1607)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (chapter 32)
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (chapter 31) 


VA will select students for the work-study program based on: 

  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of their eligibility to education benefits.
  • Availability of VA-related work
How Much Could I Earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you’re in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount VA pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing the same job as you.


You may elect to be paid in advance for 40% of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you’ve completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service OR bi-weekly, whichever comes first.


You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What do I Need to Apply? 
  1. Complete the VA work-study application form Click here.
  2. Complete the Cuyamaca College-Veterans Services Work-Study application Click here.
  3. Submit both applications and a resume to Debbie Ayers in the Veterans Center