Using VA Education Benefits

This is the starting point most veterans and their dependents utilizing VA Educational Benefits when applying to Cuyamaca College. Students submit a semester worksheet, DD-214 (Member 4), have their coursework and current class schedules reviewed by the VA School Certifying Official and complete the necessary forms to process their application to receive their education benefits for: 


Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 33

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty, Chapter 30

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), Chapter 35

Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E), Chapter 31

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

New and Returning Student Checklist

This Process for Success gives step by step instructions to new and returning students planning on using VA Education Benefits at Cuyamaca College.

***Incomplete files may delay the enrollment certification to VA. 

Continuing Students Checklist

Submit ALL of the following forms and documents via email to after you have registered for courses:

  • Semester Worksheet
  • Grossmont College Guest Intent Form. (This form is needed if you enroll in a course at Grossmont College.)
  • If you have changed your major, you will need to provide a One Semester Educational Plan or a new Comprehensive Educational Plan. The educational plan must be submitted with the semester worksheet. If you are a continuing student and have not submitted a Comprehensive Educational Plan you will need to provide a copy before enrollment will be certified to VA. Click here to schedule a comprehensive service appointment with Veterans Academic Counselor, Osvaldo Torres.

  • The One Semester Educational Plan can be created and obtained during drop-in appointments. Drop-in appointments are available Mondays only. The Comprehensive Educational Plan can be created and obtained during a 60 minute appointment. Click here to sign up for a Virtual Drop-In.

***Incomplete files may delay the enrollment certification to VA.

Monthly Certification 

Beginning with terms starting on or after December 17, 2021, students using their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits at Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) facilities and receiving a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payment are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month to continue receiving their payments. To streamline the enrollment verification process, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is providing students with text message verification, an easy and secure method for verifying enrollment each month via text and the best way to ensure they receive their MHA/kicker payments uninterrupted. Students also have the option to verify enrollment via email.


Please click here to review the guide to Opt-In and verify enrollment. If you fail to verify for two consecutive months, Your MHA and/or kicker will be placed on hold. You will need to call the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551. We strongly encourage you to contact VA to verify and/or update your information.


‘‘GI Bill®’’ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).”