External Research Request Process
In 2021, the Cuyamaca College Institutional Effectiveness Council endorsed the creation
of a local institutional review board body and process that would review requests
for research, data, or data collection from external researchers and research bodies,
graduate students, and GCCCD employees who are proposing to conduct research with
Cuyamaca College faculty and staff as part of their graduate or undergraduate studies.
Research and Ethics Review Committee
In 2022, the Cuyamaca Research and Ethics Review Committee was formed as an operational
subcommittee of the Institutional Effectiveness Council to review external research project requests that involve Cuyamaca College students
and/or employees to ensure:
- risks have been considered and minimized;
- the potential for benefit has been identified and maximized;
- all human participants only volunteer to participate in research after being provided
with legally effective informed consent;
- any research is conducted in an ethical manner and in compliance with established
- all research participants are treated ethically;
- research participants’ private information will be handled confidentially;
- each research study complies with ethical standards;
- approved research studies align with the College’s Mission Statement;
- be an active resource to the campus regarding research ethics;
- guide the research ethics progress and process for the College; and
- develop timelines and recommend policies and procedures for conducting human research
projects at the College.
How to Submit a Request
To submit a request for external research (as described above), please submit an External Research Request Form as well as appropriate attachments, such as:
- Host Institution IRB Approval Letter
- Informed Consent Form(s) - for a template/example, please click here
- Survey/questionnaire or focus group/interview protocol
- Recruitment email text, flyers, or other materials
- For attachment file naming conventions, please click here
Requests submitted by the 1st of each month receive priority review and will receive a reply from the Research and Ethics Review
Committee by the 15th of the month in which the request is submitted.
For questions about the External Research Request review process, please contact Bri
Hays, Senior Dean of Institutional Effectiveness, Success, and Equity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Qualifies as an External Research Request?
External research requests are defined as those that:
- Are initiated by an internal or external requester who is conducting research as part
of an undergraduate or graduate program at another college or university, such as
a thesis or dissertation project
- Are conducted by a research lab at Cuyamaca College and involve Cuyamaca College students
- Will be published and/or presented at a conference
- Are not part of the College’s ongoing internal research and project/program evaluation
- Are part of external organization’s research agenda and include Cuyamaca College students
The Committee meets monthly and asynchronously as needed to review and act upon external
research requests. The Committee summarizes and reports reviews/decisions for President’s
Cabinet on a monthly basis. The Research and Ethics Review Committee also works in conjunction with district external
research review and approval processes as appropriate.