Faculty Professional Development Requirements
Deadlines to Complete Professional Development Obligation for the 2022-2023 Academic
Faculty may carry over hours in the same academic year, fall to spring.
Faculty Professional Development Obligations
- Faculty are required to complete Professional Development (PD) hours by attending face-to-face or online
activities within the Vision Resource Center, or completing Self-Designed External Training. These are paid hours, and must be included on your Vision Resource Center transcript
by the above deadlines or your pay will be reduced accordingly.
"Adjunct faculty must submit all documents which demonstrate evidence of completion
of their professional development activities no later than the last day of the twelfth
(12) week of instruction each semester. Tenured/Tenure-Track faculty must submit all
documents which demonstrate evidence of completion of their professional development
activities no later than the last day of the twelfth (12) week of instruction the
spring semester each year."
- Your Professional Development Obligation is calculated by semester in the Vision Resource
Center per the faculty contract.
- The full-time faculty calculation takes into account release time and extra pay assignments along with
the contractual 20 hours per year.
- The part-time faculty calculation is by instructional hour and is described in the box below.
||Adjunct Faculty & Extra Pay
||Full Time Faculty
1 hour for each lecture unit
3 hours for each lab unit
For example, one 3-unit lecture class and one 1-unit lab would come to 6 hours of
|20 hours per year plus extra pay
Fall: July 1 to the 12th week of class
Spring: week 13 of fall to week 12 of spring semester, or roll over extra hour from fall
Disclaimer: If a part-time faculty member chooses to engage in professional development activities
earlier than flex week, and if her/his teaching load is subsequently reduced, she/he
is not entitled to be compensated for the extra hours.
|July 1 and week 12 of spring semester.
- To view your PD Obligation Hours, login to the Vision Resource Center and view the "My Professional Development Obligation" text box on the welcome page.
- Click here to view the Google Doc on how to check your completed hours in your VRC account.
Expand All | Collapse All
Self-Designed External Training
- Review guidelines for self-designed External Training and pre-approved activities. If your activity clearly fits within the framework of the pre-approved External
Training activities, go to step #2.
- Fill out the External Training form in the VRC. When you finish your activity, return to your personal VRC transcript
to mark it "complete."
- Faculty seeking pre-approval for a self-designed external training may contact the
faculty Teaching & Learning Coordinator by email to discuss how your activity fulfills
Title 5 requirements.
NOTE: Completed External Training forms will be accepted and reviewed to insure Title
The purpose of professional development is to educate and improve the entire staff.
AB1725 funds Professional Development activities in California community colleges.
The Flexible (Flex) Calendar allows community colleges to set aside 1-15 days of the
state-mandated teaching year (175 days) for Professional Development purposes. This
time is to be used primarily by faculty for Professional Development activities related
to staff, student and instructional improvement (Title 5, section 55720).
Authorized Use of PD Funds
The authorized uses of Professional Development funds as outlined in AB1725 by the
State Chancellor's Office are:
- Improvement of teaching.
- Maintenance of current academic and technical knowledge and skills.
- In-service training for vocational education and employment preparation programs.
- Retraining to meet changing institutional needs.
- Intersegmental exchange programs.
- Development of innovations in instructional and administrative techniques and program
- Computer and technological proficiency programs.
- Courses and training which implement affirmative action and upward mobility.
- Other activities determined by the Board of Governors to be related to educational
and professional development pursuant to criteria established by the Board of Governors
of the California Community Colleges.
Classified Staff & Administrators
Classified employees and administrators have no Professional Development requirements
at this time, but are encouraged to participate in Professional Development activities
with the approval of their supervisors or managers.