In order to foster a sense of belonging and inclusivity for our diverse student population,
our framework encourages the following activities in relation to curriculum and pedagogy:
- Aid departments in self-assessment processes examining existing curricula to ensure
they are culturally responsive.
- Aid departments in self-assessment processes examining curricula and current teaching
practices to determine if they adequately address the variety of learning styles and
needs of all students, especially those from historically underrepresented groups.
- Aid departments in self-assessment processes identifying ways to modify curriculum
and/or pedagogical practices to better serve disproportionately impacted students
and providing professional development activities for those who are interested.
- The Student Success and Equity Faculty Coordinator and the Office of Institutional
Effectiveness, Success and Equity will serve as resources for faculty interested in
making curricular or pedagogical changes in their departments.
Working with instructional departments and student services, aid in the following:
- Define core indicators of student success
- Provide guidance on how equity is assessed and addressed in measures of student success
- Facilitate discussion of disaggregated student success data
- Identify resources needed to close equity gaps
Working with instructional departments and student services, aid in a self-assessment
- Determine the level of cross-cultural awareness, knowledge, and skills of staff members
within each department and what training is needed
- Identify the service delivery strategies adapted to accommodate different ethnic,
cultural, learning and behavioral styles
- Determine how well service delivery strategies accommodate different ethnic, cultural,
learning and behavioral styles and to what extent these strategies are integrated
into operations and services
- Determine the culturally-responsive atmosphere of facilities and the extent to which
they are welcoming and inviting to students across lines of language, culture and
- Determine faculty and staff accessibility to students
- Identify major barriers to achieving student equity goals and list greatest needs
in achieving those goals in terms of training and resources